Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: STONEHENGE III INFO NEEDED

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jim Easley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello all,
    I am in need of the port dimensions (H/W/D) and location for the Model 3577A Stonehenge cabinet. The corners of the port appear to have a 1/2" radius. The port has a loose weave (burlap like material) installed behind the port and the baffle seems to be recessed (routed) on the inside. Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member eibei's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jim:::

    No info on the Stonehedge. However: sure would like to say hello again and request a copy of your SUPER Altec Studio Monitor M19 plans.

    E-mail address:

    [email protected]

    - Lynn [Russell]

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Any particular reason why this cab? The reason I ask is that cab design is dependent on a variety of things, such as placement in the room, amp's output resistance, etc.. Altec's reflex designs were at best, generic, so are easily improved upon for specific apps.. You imply that you've already selected basic cab dims. If so, what's the details and desired performance goals?
    GM

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jim Easley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM,
    The reason I selected the Stonehenge III design is quite simple. My hobby is reproducing these older classic designs in CAD then building a pair for myself. I don't do this for profit, just for pleasure. I picked up a beautiful pair of 604-8G's last week from a friend and began the process of recreating another accurate dimensional drawing. This particular cabinet design as well as many other Altec designs are not available from any source that I am aware of. I am of course interested in any construction details and measurements of this cabinet.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, unless someone has one to measure, you can scale a pic just as good as me, and if it's typical Altec construction then bracing will probably consist of a lone front-to-back 1x3 vertically oriented tie bar. From scaling a pic, tuning appears to be around 55Hz -minus whatever the burlap adds in resistance, and again, based on their typically using slightly underdamped alignments to get that 'west coast sound', Fb is around 42Hz.

    HTH,

    GM

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, so are you going to publish these or donate them to the various Altec archives? Just curious. BTW, what's wrong with this OEM drawing for the 210? it sure looks like the ones I had:
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures03.jpg

    GM

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Jim Easley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM,
    Thank you. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone has one of these cabinets they would be willing to measure. It would really save me some time. The last time I decided to do this with Model 19's, it took almost two years to gather enough information. It paid off though. As it turned out, by scaleing images I was off by exactly 1/4" in the height of the lower cabinet section. Thanks to Jeff Markwart and his collection of Altec stuff, I was later able to draw up a rather convincing and accurate Altec "style" construction sheet. I am also currently working on sheets for the Model Fourteen's and 210's.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Jim Easley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM,
    It has always been my intent to share the completed drawings with the Altec community. I have shared the Model 19 page with many people on a one on one basis. I do this to avoid the possibility of any intelectual property rights infringement.
    There is nothing wrong with the 210 drawing in your link. Fact is, Mr. Reed Hinton has loaned me an original 210 blueprint that has much more detail. It is my intent to preserve and archive drawings like this since much of the original documentation has been lost by the numerous past owners of the Altec line.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Number 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2003
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I will be really interested on how your project turns out. I had the opportunity to listen to the Stonehenge in an audio store when they were available. I really liked them. Very nice.

    Though ...I think a bigger cabinet will get you even some more bass from those drivers.

    It had a really interesting grill cloth too. May be hard to find something exactly like it.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Jim Easley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Number 9,
    I will certainly post the outcome however, before I start the project, I still need some real measurements and there may have been several versions of the Stonehenge III. From the basic dimensions I do have, these cabinets have just a little over 6 cubic feet of internal volume. The grille is actually listed as being acoustically transparent foam. From the pictures I've seen, the grille frame is constructed of oak with a masonite backing to which the foam is glued to. Pretty much standard design during that time. If any of you guy's have an original cabinet, please drop me a line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.